February 19, 2018

Contempt and Modifications

Contempt and Modifications (Custody/Support/Alimony)

At the Law Offices of Sheila C. Harrington, our family law attorneys represent clients throughout central Massachusetts in a wide range of family law proceedings, including post-divorce disputes. Often the divorce judgment requires modification in the event of a substantial change in circumstances, or enforcement if a party is not abiding by the agreement.

Contact us at our office in GrotonĀ  (978)448-9601, or contact us by e-mail.

Modification of Family Court Orders

Some of the post-judgment matters we handle include:

  • Modifications of child custody and visitation provisions
  • Modifications of child support
  • Modification of insurance obligations
  • Alimony modifications

Modification of a child custody order may prove necessary if there is an allegation of abuse or neglect, need to relocate to another state or another significant change in circumstances. Post-judgment matters such as these may cause the court to appoint a Guardian ad Litem (GAL). The GAL will conduct a thorough investigation of the custody situation and provide an evaluation to the court. This evaluation is then used to assess whether abuse allegations are accurate or to determine if proposed modifications serve the best interests of the children.

Contempt and Enforcement of Court Orders

If a party is not abiding by the divorce agreement or family court order, a contempt complaint must be filed. Typically this arises for:

  • Failure to pay child support
  • Failure to pay alimony
  • Refusal to adhere to parenting schedule
  • Failure to convey property or money
  • Failure to carry insurance (health, life, etc.)

If you need to speak with a lawyer about a modification or contempt proceeding, we can help. At the Law Offices of Sheila C. Harrington, we have extensive experience in post-judgment filings and will be happy to answer your questions.

Protect Your Rights: Act Now

As a law firm that handles all types of family law cases, we have represented many clients who wish they would have come to us earlier. The date you file with the court for a modification of child support is important. As a general rule, courts do not retroactively increase or decrease child support, so delays on your part can be costly.

Contact Us

For a moderate fee you can come in and meet with one of our experienced attorneys to discuss your situation and assess your legal options.

Protect your rights by contacting a family law attorney as soon as possible. To contact a member of our firm, call (978)448-9601, or contact us by e-mail.